Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day 3 - The ankle bone's connected to the knee bone

When I was in elementary school we sang the song "The ankle bone's connected to the knee bone". Today I experienced the heel bone connected to the head bone. In the last post I mentioned the pain I experience along my right side. Another sources of tension is my neck, also primarily from spending long hours at the computer. After reading a Yoga Journal article on proper posture in a squatting position (Malasana or Garland Pose) to allow each part of the body to express itself equally, I tried pressing my heels into the floor while sitting at my desk. I discovered that with my body weight properly positioned and my heels pressed into the floor my entire body felt more supported, releasing some of the habitual tension I hold in my neck. Who would have thought?

1 comment:

  1. just discovered this blog, and am happy I did. I will try this. I often find myself sitting in very odd positions-- sometimes with my feet on the seat of the chair, legs bent-- to keep me from slouching. Sitting on the edge seems to help too. Heels are together now. It does feel more supported. Will see if I can keep it up.

    ReplyDelete