Wednesday, January 27, 2010

When Life Interupts the Breath

While teaching I remind my students to bring their awareness back to the breath. It is a great reminder for myself, bring it back. My 40 days of Anatomical Explorations were derailed by life (the Outdoor Retailer show, a house full of very fun guests and a snow night spent on the yoga room floor at Snowbird) so I'm bringing it back. I've decided to start the 40 days over since I am enjoying the exploration so much. My sense is that a lifetime of this exploration is possible. As I have embarked on this physical/mystical journey I guess that's what I have signed up for.

Tonight, Day 1 - breath. Inhale pattern and exhale pattern yoga poses with very gifted and developed yoga teacher Scott Moore. On the inhale our bodies expand and open, on the exhale they contract and create stabilization. Backbends are inhale pattern poses and Forwardbends are exhale pattern poses. I also want to apply this to climbing, inhaling reaching, exhaling pulling. Looking forward to exploring the extension of the legs in this breath cycle in coordination with the other movement. With the idea of Yin/Yang in mind in each extension back there is a slight tucking of the tailbone so within the heart of the openness is support. This reminds my of my physical therapists suggestion that for more flexibility I must have the strength and stability to hold the stretch.

When Scott lead us through camel pose the front of my neck felt tight. He recommended tucking my chin to the chest which made my head feel very light without the neck tension. My low back hurts occasionally in backbends and my quads hold tightness. As I create a slight contraction bringing the top of the pubic bone to the ribs this helps the low back. I am sure the quad tightness is somehow related though I haven't unlocked that key yet. Another mantra I am going to adopt for my neck/shoulders is to roll the shoulders up back and down while sitting at a desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment