An engineering maxim from Mary Bond's book - leading to exploration of the feet, my interface with the earth. Through the first exploration I learn that I carry more weight on my right side (not a surprise). My heels carry more than the balls of my feet. On the left side I feel more supported and balanced. The arch feels solid and effortless with more of the weight on the outside of the foot. My right foot rolls slightly inward with more weight to the inside of the foot. This of course has reverberations up through the leg, into the hip and probably compounds the tension in my shoulders.
Does the compression come from a collapsing of the foot or is it in response to something funky going on in the hip, a kick-boxing injury perhaps, which has included the support all the way down to the foot in the re-adjustment?
In motion the left heel connects with the ground centered, the right connects on the outside and rolls inward with each step. I am aware of the potential for the observer (myself) to influence the movement. As I walk with awareness how much shifts from my normal walk? Aware of the arches of both feet as I walk, the right feels more collapsed and more weight rests on the inside of the ball of the right foot. My toes are rarely actively engaged in pushing off, though I feel a lot more power when I use them. Though not part of Mary's exploration to satisfy my curiosity I tried walking in shoes to notice the toe engagement. Certainly a more difficult sensation to find. I see the wisdom in the Vibram Five Fingers footwear.
No comments:
Post a Comment